From: "Liz A. Highleyman" <liz@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 91 18:29:55 EDT
To: info-explorer@mc.lcs.mit.edu, subgenius@mc.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Warning: Radioactive frogs are on the loose

Warning: Radioactive frogs are on the loose

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Oak Ridge National Laboratory officials
have issued a warning that tiny radioactive frogs are on the
loose.
The fugitive amphibians are browninsh-green, 1 1/2 to 2 inches
long with skinny legs and apparently healthy -- except that they
can set off a Geiger counter with radiation levels well above normal.
The radioactive leopard frogs are safe unless eaten, but they
aren't exactly appetizing.
And, said Frank Kornegay, the lab's environmental coordinator,
the frogs "aren't particularly cute, so I don't think anyone is
going to take them home as pets."
Workers at the Department of Energy installation about 35
miles west of Knoxville reported radioactive tires on their cars
and trucks, apparently from running over the creatures.
"That's how we first discovered them" outside the pond,
Kornegay said.
He estimated about 100 of the frogs have been caught and
tested in the past month.
"Frogs exhibiting detectable levels of radiation, some dead
and some alive, have been found ..." warned the radiation safety
bulletin issued at the lab this week.
Officials thought they had the situation under control until
one frog was found in the basement of an office building about a
half mile from the enclosed, contaminated pond where the animals
hatched in the spring.

End of Subgenius Digest