(excerpted from Interim Stark Fist, Summer 1994)
To tide you over until the FIST is published, we present this MINI-OTHER MUTANTS list of a few recent absolute, greatest, can't-live-without 'em PRODUCTS FOR WEIRDOS -- the ones that lead to OTHER products for weirdos.
NOTE: We do not list publications and artists ONLY because they are our friends. But we do happen to have the most talented and interesting friends in the world.
- new magazine that is partially like Factsheet Five (reviews of oddball publications, music, etc.), but also features in-depth articles and interviews on damn near anything outside of "normal" bounds. There's a lot on the Grateful Dead universe, tape bootlegging, hacking, extremist art, etc.
Write for subscription info: Gray Areas, PO Box 808, Broomall, PA 19008-0808.
There's a very long, detailed, "definitive" interview with I, Stang in the Fall '93 issue.
FRINGE WARE REVIEW
- PO Box 49921, Austin, TX 78765 $3.50 sample, 4/$12.
This is a little bit like MONDO 2000 was in the old days, when it was HIGH FRONTIERS, but weirder - that is, it's heavy on the cyberspacial computer interfacial gobbledegook, but more likely to catch the Midwestern trends before they become trendy on a Coast. Both a magazine and a catalog, they sell software and books and geegaws for the modern hacker, slacker or nut. This represents such an advanced tie-in to the on-line world that much of it's way over my head - but would probably be of utmost interest to the psychedelic cybergeek.
THE EXCLUDED MIDDLE
- "An Esoteric Journal for the Masses"
PO Box 1077, Los Angeles, CA 90048; 4/$12 or $3.50/sample.
A new quarterly compendium of articles, ads, rants & reviews concerned with UFO mythology, conspiracy theories, the Self - you know, the usual psychotronic cornucopia. #2 covers Crowley as UFO contactee, new looks at the Clay Shaw trial, UFO personality Bill Moore explaining himself, Shakespiere's return, + useful ads. For those who've already been through UFO/Conspiracy 101 and need juicier doctorate-level weirdness. I owe these guys an article. Hmmm. Okay, look for my confession in these pages about how my whole family was abducted by aliens. (Honest! I "accessed" the "hidden memories!" Heh, heh.)
THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK
- Paul Rydeen, PO Box 250147, Montgomery, AL 36125-0147, $5 postpaid
Huge database of nearly 1000 addresses (and spare descriptions) from the fringes of society. Categories include Anarchists, Astronauts, Book Catalogs, Brains, Comix, Conspiracies, Contactees, Creationists, Crop Circles, Cryptozoology, Drugs, Druids, Egyptians, Eschatology, Essenes, ESP, Forteana, Freethinkers, Gnostics, Head Zines, Humor, Left-Hand Path, Life Extension, Lovecraft, Mail-Order Ministries, Mind Machines, New Age, Occult, Orgone, Psychedelia, Radionics, Rastafarians, Right Wingers, Schizophrenics, Sci-Fi, Sleaze, Smart Drugs, Survivalists, Tapes, Tesla, Thelemites, UFOs, Videos, Voodoo, Witches, Zionists and many more. This updated reference book represents years of research, invaluable to the serious crackpotologist.
- publishers and reprinters of a growing line of underground and "conspiracy-nut" classics, such as George Andrews' Extraterrestrial Friends and Foes, The Gemstone Files, Saucers of the Illuminati, Principia Discordia and the works of Kerry Thornley & Aleister Crowley.
Send $1 for catalog from PO Box 2808, Liburn, GA 30226. Any given book they publish belongs on every SubGenius's shelves.
These folks distribute and LIST (a la Factsheet Five) a huge line of alternative and underground magazines, books, etc., with categories like Green, Gender, Neo-Queer, Reefer, Anarchism. A companion to the Amok and Loompanics catalogs.
$3 from Soapbox Junc, PO Box 597996, Chicago, IL 60659.
- PO Box 49233, Austin TX 78765 - 4/$12 or $5/sample
One of the very best psychotronic/conspiracy/UFOs/psychedelics/Philip K. Dick/Elder Gods/Szukalski/toad-licking magazines on the market. Read this and bathe in the fullness of esoteric paranoia at its most refined! No trendy babble, just the straight irreality poop! Highly recommended, professionally produced, a classic representative of the genre.
(What, it's a genre? I guess it is now. It's probably only a matter of time before one of these goes "slick" like Film Threat did. What next? "Slick" mags on prank calls? alt.prairie-squid? Who will finally make even the furthest of the fringe into a package of conceptual "toys" for the mainstream?? (Judging by the steady but meager sales of High Weirdness by Mail, it won't be The SubGenius Foundation!) And will this be bad or good, when every single street schizophrenic becomes a shor-dur-superstar on Fox for 15 minutes? It is to ponder.)
"The Magazine That Dares to Be Lame" ... and thus is NEVER lame! Perfect toilet reading for beer-guzzlin' intellectual aficionados of sick modern pop-culture bulldada in the form of comics, videos, badfilm, recordings, you name it. Disgusting artwork, enlightened attitude toward vulgarity. Sleaze-mastery slightly in the vein of Joe-Bob Briggs.
$6/issue, $12/year from Odium Ent., Box 25222, Arlington VA 22202-9222.
The greatest UFO book ever, yet it's almost ALL GRAPHICS (to express the inexpressible). Bill Barker's book SCHWA ($6) is an absolute must-have for anyone interested in the socio-cultural aspects of the UFO-abduction scene. Riveting art style that somehow captures the sideways quirkiness of the phenomena, or at least of its victims. $14 for complete KIT w/ stickers, keychain, calendar, SCHWA book, gimmicks galore for the modern abductee.
Schwa, Box 6064, Reno, NV 89513-6064. GREAT T-shirts, too!
Monthly magazine of SICK JOKES & office humor. Very current, sick2. Specializes in racist, sexist, non-P.C. jokes. $15/year, $5 for 5 back issues, $2 sample.
PO Box 317025, Dayton, OH 45437.
$3 cash or M.O. to Randall Phillip Publications, P.O. Box 2217, Philadelphia, PA 19103
This is probably the most offensive magazine I have ever seen. I am ACTUALLY OFFENDED and LITERALLY GROSSED OUT every time I look at one of these, and that's saying a LOT. I can't believe this guy hasn't been locked up. (Not that I think he should be.) I always tell myself not to look at each issue when it arrives, because the pictures will ruin my day, and I always look anyway, and sure enough, I'm queasy for the rest of the day. If you are in any way upset by photographs of dead bodies, mutilation, deformed fetuses, autopsies, etc., or really awful sexual sickness, not to mention the most antisocial diatribes EVER, DON'T MESS WITH THIS. I list FUCK only because NOT alerting some of my fellow collectors to something THIS extreme would be an even greater sin than LISTING it. I would say this material is defensible on artistic grounds ONLY.
Rev. Joe Riley's comic book of Bruce Lee's rotting corpse battling the 3-Stooge-headed Beast of the Apocalypse, plus a priceless drawing of Ren fucking Stimpy ("Go get that stinky, Ren!" "Shut up... I'm trying to concentrate!").
I dunno, $2.50(?) from Riley, 2523 San Paula, Dallas TX 75228. Incidentally, the fancy $50 rubber masks of "Bob" and "NHGH" seen advertised by Rev. Riley in the last FIST are REAL.
ASYLUM FOR SHUT-INS
- P.O. Box 46581, Bedford, OH 44146 $2.50 @ or $9 for 4 issues. Subscribe to this magazine, and you'll have updated lists of cool stuff just like this list here, but you'll ALSO be getting a quarterly HIGH WEIRDNESS BY MAIL as WELL! Many crackpotologists have requested that we update that old out-dated tome, and we will, as soon as somebody offers us enough front-money to make it worthwhile! In the meantime, it's being done right here (and probably better) in Rev. Mike Kole's fine 60-page publication. There are lots of keen zines around that list kooks, crackpots, and outre' bulldada (some described below), but ASYLUM deliberately carries the High Weirdness torch of extremist sarcasmoresearch. More detailed, better illustrated, and obviously way more current than HWbM, it still covers that unparticular range from kook art to kook science to kook religions and politics, and with a similarly pitiless attitude. Early issues have featured REVELATION X preview rants, Devival coverage, oddball classifieds - and even a list of all the HWbM listees that are no longer extant, to save you postage! Excellent indie music and tape reviews. As it says on the cover, "Cults! Forteana! Odd catalogs! Far-out Music! UFO Contactees! Religious Fanatics! World Class Ranters! Political Firebrands! Conspiracy Theorists! Suppressed Information!" No SubGenius should be without its ASYLUM FOR SHUT-INS in the bathroom. (Rev. Kole is also heard on WCSB Cleveland on Sunday nights along with Hour of Slack.)
- grab this quick before it's gone... never to be repeated. The outstanding feature of this is GREAT WRITING, pure and simple -- makes Hunter S. Thompson sound like Erma Bombeck. Definitively unflinching, hateful, and FAR BEYOND COOL. Jim and Debbie Goad will be your new anti-heroes. #3 has interviews with Dr. Kevorkian, Al Sharpton, other maniacs, but mainly features a hilarious encyclopedia of STARTLING SUICIDES. $5 for #3 from Goad to Hell, 1608 N. Cahuenga Blvd., #666, Hollywood, CA 90028. (Oops - just heard it's out of print. (They're in exactly the same boat we are, back-issue-wise). Send the $5 anyway. They plan to re-release their first 3 issues as one BOOK.)
Back to document index
Original file name: Reviews- Other Mutants
This file was converted.